Jurors shown mosque arson suspect's anti-Muslim writings

FILE - In this Jan. 11, 2018, file photo, Marq Vincent Perez, who is accused of intentionally setting a fire that destroyed a mosque in Victoria, Texas, is escorted from the federal courthouse in Victoria after a pretrial hearing. Prosecutors say Perez, on trial for federal arson and hate crime charges, made plans to create a "rogue unit" to monitor and possibly confront Muslims at the Islamic center. (Evan Lewis/The Victoria Advocate via AP, File)

VICTORIA, Texas — Prosecutors say a Texas man accused of torching a mosque made plans to create a "rogue unit" to monitor and possibly confront Muslims at the Islamic center.

Marq Vincent Perez is on trial for federal arson and hate crime charges for the 2017 fire that destroyed a mosque in Victoria, about 120 miles (190 kilometers) southwest of Houston. On Tuesday, jurors saw private messages and Facebook posts that prosecutors say show Perez's dislike and suspicion of Muslims.

They also heard from a federal investigator who said Perez's phone contained four photos of the burning mosque.

Perez has said he was not involved in the blaze. According to the Express-News , defense attorney Mark DiCarlo hinted that alibis may be presented later in the trial, which is expected to last two weeks.

You may also interested in

2 Fox News execs named co-presidents, will report...

Aug 12, 2016

Rupert Murdoch moves to set up a new management structure at Fox News following Roger Ailes'...

Nephew in 'Making a Murderer' has conviction...

Aug 13, 2016

A judge has overturned the conviction of a Wisconsin man found guilty of helping his uncle kill a...

Court rejects Cosby's attempt to reseal testimony...

Aug 15, 2016

A federal appeals court has rejected Bill Cosby's effort to reseal his deposition testimony about...

NBC audience soars with first full week of...

Aug 16, 2016

With blanket coverage of the Rio Games all last week, NBC had the ratings game all to itself in...

NBC chairman blasts Trump in private Facebook post

Aug 16, 2016

The chairman of NBC Entertainment is slamming Donald Trump, the network's onetime "Apprentice" star

About Us

Buzz Online Daily brings to you the trendy and up-to-date viral news, entertainment news, and local breaking news exclusively to our dedicated readers.

Contact us: sales[at]buzzonlinedaily.com

Subscribe Now!