Canadian broadcaster cuts Charles Dutoit's name from radio

FILE - In this Oct. 19, 2011 file photo, chief conductor Charles Dutoit rehearses with the Philadelphia Orchestra in Philadelphia. Six more women have stepped forward to accuse the prominent conductor of sexually assaulting them in the United States, France and Canada, including a musician who says the maestro raped her in 1988. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)

SAN FRANCISCO — Conductor Charles Dutoit's name has become so toxic following accusations of sexual assault that Canada's national broadcaster has stopped saying his name on air when radio stations play his music.

"At this point, we are no longer crediting Mr. Dutoit as conductor," said Emma Bedard, spokeswoman for Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

Dutoit served as music director for the Montreal Symphony Orchestra from 1977-2002. He made scores of recordings with the orchestra that make up an important part of the national broadcaster's Canadian repertoire on classical music station CBC Radio Two. But the new policy applies to all CBC stations.

"CBC Radio Two is where these recordings are most often played, but our approach would be the same regardless of channel," Bedard said in emailed statements. Her comments were first reported by the Montreal Gazette.

The policy took effect after The Associated Press reported on Dec. 21 that four women, including three opera singers and an orchestra musician, accused Dutoit of sexual assault. The world-renowned conductor denied the accusations, but eight major orchestras promptly cut ties with Dutoit or distanced themselves from him.

"We began changing how we refer to these recordings at the end of December, and will continue for the time being to simply credit the Montreal Symphony Orchestra," she said.

On Thursday, the AP published a story with six new accusations of assault against Dutoit, including one musician who accused him of rape. Dutoit denied the latest accusations, saying in a statement he was "appalled and sickened" by the rape allegation which he called a "bewildering and baseless charge."

You may also interested in

Taran Killam and Jay Pharoah each land a Showtime...

Aug 11, 2016

Taran Killam and Jay Pharoah will each star in their own half-hour comedy series for Showtime

Is NBC's prime-time Olympics due for a change?

Aug 12, 2016

For all the changes media and even Olympics coverage, NBC sticks to a time-honored formula for its...

Pew report shows divide in social media exposure...

Aug 15, 2016

The Pew Research Center found that black social media users are nearly twice as likely to see posts...

Brian Williams to anchor late campaign newscast...

Aug 16, 2016

MSNBC's Brian Williams is getting a regular time slot, at least for a couple of months

Trial date set for ex-Patriots star Hernandez in...

Aug 16, 2016

A judge has set a trial date in February for former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez in...

People also read these

Taran Killam and Jay Pharoah each land a Showtime...

Aug 11, 2016

Taran Killam and Jay Pharoah will each star in their own half-hour comedy series for Showtime

Bollywood's Shah Rukh Khan gets US apology for...

Aug 12, 2016

Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan tweeted that he gets detained at U.S. airports "every damn time"...

Is NBC's prime-time Olympics due for a change?

Aug 12, 2016

For all the changes media and even Olympics coverage, NBC sticks to a time-honored formula for its...

'Suicide Squad' loses some luster in 2nd...

Aug 14, 2016

"Suicide Squad" isn't looking as bright in weekend two, dropping an estimated 67 percent

Study finds women competitors dominate NBC's...

Aug 15, 2016

A study finds that nearly 59 percent of the prime-time Olympic competition shown so far on NBC...

About Us

Buzz Online Daily brings to you the trendy and up-to-date viral news, entertainment news, and local breaking news exclusively to our dedicated readers.

Contact us: sales@buzzonlinedaily.com

Subscribe Now!